Presidents Day honors the life and work of our first president, George Washington. George Washington was born on February 22 but President’s Day 2014 will take place on Monday, February 17.
We all know many facts about George Washington. First American president, commander of the Continental Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, and gentleman planter.
However, some facts that are not as well-known about George Washington include:
- He never lived in Washington DC – although he helped plan the city, capital and white house
- He declined to run for a 3rd term of office – even with overwhelming support he chose to retire and allow the people to choose a new leader
- He never had any children – though referred to as “The Father of our Country”
- He did not belong to a political party – he feared the power could be abused
- He never attended college – he pursued a strict self-education program
- His teeth were not made of wood – they are made of a combination of animal bone, ivory and human teeth
Hope you have an enjoyable President’s Day.